Best Baby Bassinet for a Newborn Baby
Bringing home a newborn and finding the right bedding for them can be stressful.
Are you bringing home a new baby and looking at getting a bassinet? Do you need help with what to look for in a bassinet?
We've put together this guide for choosing the best baby bassinet for a newborn baby that perfectly fits the needs of any family.
What Is a Bassinet?
A bassinet is a bed specifically designed for newborns that are typically placed next to your bed for easy access to your baby all night. Bassinets also provide your newborn with a smaller, safe space for them to rest comfortably.
Bassinets are often oval-shaped, have cloth or mesh sides, and can move around easily.
The base of a bassinet is typically around the level of an average adult's waistline, which can make picking up and laying down a baby easy.
You can use a bassinet from when you bring your baby home from the hospital until they can push up on their hands, move around, or rollover. Babies can generally do this between three and five months old.
Pros of Bassinets
- Small and mobile
- Can keep baby close to your bed
- Great for naps and nighttime
Cons of Bassinets
- Can be expensive
- Extra baby of baby furniture to purchase and store
- Brief lifespan
Want to learn more about 123 Baby Boxes and get freebies and discount codes? Click here to learn About Us and sign-up for our newsletter!
The Best Bassinets for a Newborn Baby
Here are our picks for the best bassinets for a newborn baby.
The BABYBJORN Cradle is a gender-neutral bassinet that is lightweight and stylish. Its gentle rocking motion can help you lull your infant back to sleep, and you'll know when they are getting fussy when it starts rocking!
BABYBJORN Cradle Features
- JPMA Certified
- Low height and transparent mesh for easy supervision of your baby
- Lightweight and portable
- Soft, breathable sides
- For newborns, 8 pounds up to six months or 17 pounds
- Machine washable fabrics
- No harmful or allergenic substances
Fisher-Price Soothing Motions Bassinet
The Fisher-Price Soothing Motions Bassinet is modern and has nifty built-in features. This bassinet has a gentle nightlight, vibrates soothingly, and plays chill music to keep your infant entertained until they fall asleep.
Fisher-Price Soothing Motions Bassinet Features
- Eye-catching overhead mobile
- A removable control unit can be used as a tabletop soother
- Calming swaying motion
- Soothing sound, soft lights, and vibrations
- Machine washable sheet
- Extra cozy sleep pad
HALO Baby Bassinest Swivel Sleeper 3.0
The HALO Baby Bassinest Swivel Sleeper 3.0 is the perfect choice if you're looking to sleep with your baby close to you. It has an adjustable stand and is see-through, so you can easily keep an eye on your little one.
HALO Baby Bassinest Swivel Sleeper 3.0 Features
- Swivels over parent's bed
- See-through, breathable mesh
- Height-adjustable base to accommodate beds up to 30"
- Bedside walls lower for easy access
- Machine washable fabrics
- 2-in-1 design converts bassinet to portable nest
- Waterproof pad and fitted sheet included
Chicco LullaGo Portable Bassinet
The Chicco LullaGo Portable Bassinet is lightweight, mobile, easy to set up, and comes with a tote back so you can take it with you when you travel.
Chicco LullaGo Portable Bassinet Features
- Fabrics are removable and machine washable
- Large, padded mattress
- Mesh side panels for excellent ventilation and visibility
- Snap-on metal legs perfect for travel
- Carry bag for storage and travel
- Convenient storage pocket
UPPAbaby Bassinet for Vista or Cruz Stroller
The UPPAbaby Bassinet for Vista or Cruz is a stroller attachment that you can use with select Vista and Cruz strollers. In addition, you can buy a stand to clip the bassinet into, and it's approved for overnight sleeping!
UPPAbaby Bassinet for Vista or Cruz Stroller Features
- Breathable mattress pad
- Extendable drop-down sunshade
- Allows baby to lie completely flat
- A vented base for airflow
- One-hand release from the stroller
- Zippable canopy
Dream On Me Lotus Bedside Sleeper
The Dream On Me Lotus Bedside Sleeper is budget-friendly and can easily be adjusted to four different heights. It also has mesh side panels so you can view your newborn easily.
Dream On Me Lotus Bedside Sleeper Features
- Lightweight, portable design
- Mesh panels for visibility and airflow
- 4 Adjustable heights to match the level of your bed
- Roll-down mesh side to convert to a bedside sleeper
- Retractable insect net canopy perfect for outdoor use
- Folds completely into a travel bag
- Strap system to secure to your bed
Frequently Asked Questions
What should you not put into a bassinet?
You should not put objects into a bassinet that can increase your baby's risk of strangulation, suffocation, or entrapment.
Items you should not put into a bassinet include:
- Pillows and pillow toys
- Non-fitted sheets
- Bumper pad
- Mattress toppers
How long can a baby sleep in a bassinet?
A baby can sleep in a bassinet until they reach around 15-20 pounds or when they can start to roll around or sit up on their own. Babies typically reach this stage between four to six months old.
It's also a good idea to look at the manufacturer's directions, as many modern bassinets have recommended weight limits.
Do you want to turbocharge your baby’s development? Click here to get the baby box parents and babies love!
Finding the Best Bassinet for Your Newborn Baby
Bassinets placed in the bedroom with their parents are the safest option for babies, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).
Bassinets come in many different styles and have features that can appeal to a wide range of babies and parents. There are lightweight travel ones, bassinets with soothing features, and sturdy ones that offer an alternative to cribs.
You might not use a bassinet for long, but the sense of security it can provide for you and your baby makes them well worth the investment.
Take the time to list your needs for a bassinet and choose the one that's right for you and your baby.