Choosing baby mittens that fit well and stay securely in place can be challenging. And we know all too well about the missing mitten. To help you find the best baby mittens for your baby, we’ll recommend the best baby mittens on the market for keeping your baby warm and safe. Plus, we’ll offer some tips for buying baby mittens, so you find the right pair for your child.
Our Picks for the 5 Best Baby Mittens
These are our favorite baby mittens available:
1. Best Overall Baby Mittens: Burt’s Bees Baby Unisex Mittens
The Burt’s Bees Baby Unisex Mittens are one of our favorites because they are made from 100% organic cotton and are ultra-soft for babies. These anti-scratch mittens are easy to put on with their elastic cinching and stay securely on your baby’s hands. These are great for babies with sensitive skin. These mittens come in one size and a variety of colors.
- Soft, tight weave organic cotton
- Well rated
- Machine washable
- Variety of colors
- Come in packs
- Loses elasticity over time
2. Best Baby Mittens for Newborns: Grow by Gerber Baby Mittens
Grow by Gerber Baby Mittens are a must for brand-new babies. Newborns struggle to control their hands and often scratch themselves without mittens. These newborn mittens come in two sizes and are designed to stay on, which is another difficult feat since babies are very active. The Grow mittens are made of cotton and spandex for comfort.
- Anti-scratch design
- Soft and comfortable
- Variety of colors and patterns
- Very Affordable
- Machine Washable
- Baby will grow out of them in 3 month
3. Best Waterproof Baby Mittens: Columbia Infant Chippewa II Mittens
Columbia Infant Chippewa II Mittens are well-rated, waterproof baby mittens that are perfect for being outside during the winter. These mittens go on easily and have a zipper and elastic cuff to secure the mitten on your baby’s hand. These mittens also have the Columbia Omni-Shield technology for being water resistant and adding extra warmth. It has a clasp to keep the gloves together when not in use.
- Proprietary waterproofing technology
- Fleece lining for warmth and comfort
- Hook clip for keeping together
- Only one size that your baby can outgrow
- More expensive
Want the best baby products for your baby’s stage of development? Learn more about our baby subscription box.
Related Link: Winter Tips: How to Keep a Baby Warm at Night
4. Best Fleece Baby Mittens: Zutano Cozie Fleece Mittens
The Zutano Cozie Fleece Mittens are thumbless mittens that slide easily on small hands and stay together with a string connector, so you don’t lose a mitten. These mittens come in fifteen color options and are lined with organic cotton for added comfort. These mittens are best for babies under six months.
- Thick weave fleece for warmth
- Machine washable and dryer safe
- Variety of colors
- Extra lining for warmth and comfort
- Your baby may outgrow them after six months
Best Organic Baby Mittens: Goumi Baby Organic Cotton Striped Mittens
Goumi Baby Organic Cotton Striped Mittens are made from soft, organic bamboo and cotton, which are the ultimate in luxurious comfort. Great for babies with sensitive skin, these ultra-soft mittens have two closures for securing the mittens and can adjust as the baby grows. These mittens come in several colors and sizes, including preemie.
- Ultra-soft organic bamboo and cotton material
- Two part closure
- Machine washable
- Variety of colors and sizes
- More expensive
123 Babybox utilizes the latest research to craft the best box for your baby’s needs for their stage of development and growth. Learn more about our expertly curated boxes.
Related Link: Cold Weather Safety Tips for Your Kids
What Material is Best for Baby Mittens?
When it comes to baby mittens, you’ll want to pick a fabric that is both comfortable and safe. Here are some materials to consider when choosing baby mittens:
- Cotton: Cotton is a soft, breathable material that is gentle on a baby’s delicate skin. It is also machine washable.
- Fleece: Fleece is a warm and cozy material that is ideal for keeping a baby’s hands warm during cold weather.
- Bamboo: Bamboo is a natural and sustainable material that is soft and gentle on a baby’s skin. It is also hypoallergenic and antimicrobial, which is good for sensitive skin.
- Silk: Silk is a soft and smooth material that is gentle on a baby’s skin, and it acts as a natural insulator.
What is the Warmest Type of Baby Mitten?
The warmest type of baby mitten typically depends on the materials used. These are some of the warmest fabrics used for baby mittens:
You should consider your climate and weather conditions when choosing baby mittens. For warmer climates, lighter materials such as cotton or bamboo may be warm enough.
Are Mittens a SIDS Risk?
Yes, mittens can pose a potential risk for sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). Mittens can discourage the baby from touching their face, which can stimulate their airway and prevent them from suffocating. Mittens can also slip off during sleep and create a suffocation hazard.
In addition to removing mittens on your baby when they go to sleep at night and at naptime,
The American Academy of Pediatrics' guidelines to reduce the risk of SIDS recommend:
- Placing your baby on their back on a firm, flat surface.
- Avoid using soft objects, such as pillows, blankets, or crib bumpers, in the sleeping area.
Buying Tips for Baby Mittens
When buying mittens for babies, you should consider the following:
- Size: Make sure the mittens fit properly and are snug but not too tight.
- Material: Soft, warm materials like fleece, wool, or sherpa are good choices for cold weather. Lightweight materials like cotton or bamboo are good for warmer weather.
- Stay-on design: Choose mittens with a stay-on design, such as those with a cuff that can be tucked into a jacket or sleeves.
- Easy to clean: Look for mittens that are easy to clean and machine washable.
- Safety: Avoid mittens with cords, strings, or ribbons, as they can pose a choking hazard.
- Price: Mittens can range in price, so consider your budget when making a purchase. Age range: Make sure the mittens are appropriate for your baby’s age. Some mittens may be too small or too large for certain age ranges.
Baby Mittens are Ideal for Protecting Your Baby
If you are expecting a baby, you’ll want to purchase a couple of different baby mittens to protect your baby from scratching themselves when they are first born and then to keep their hands warm during the colder months. Mittens come in a wide variety of materials and colors. You’ll want to pick mittens that fit your baby’s needs and your climate.
At 123 Baby Box, we are committed to helping to boost your baby’s development and growth. We curate a monthly subscription baby box that includes the best developmental toys and products for your baby’s growth stage.Related Link: Things Every New Parent Should Know About Newborn Sleep